you're reading...

Marvin Actions May Impact the Outcome of Your Divorce or Separation in San Jose, Santa Clara, Oakland and Other Surrounding Cities (Part 2 of 2)

Normally when a relationship ends and two people split up, there is not much the courts can do for them. If they were not married or were not registered domestic partners, there is no spousal support. If the two parties both financially contributed to a property or an investment, then they would have to bring their claim into civil court, much like two complete strangers would bring a claim against each other.

However, there is a way that an unmarried couple who decide to separate may be able to bring their case to court. A Marvin action occurs when there is a contractual agreement between the two parties. This agreement may be that one party has promised to take care of the other after separation or to split the profits from a business sale or real estate deal. Generally, unmarried partners are not legally entitled to each other’s property but this may change under a Marvin action.

These types of cases take place in the civil court and not family court but family law attorneys may still be able to represent you. Additionally, just because the two parties get married does not mean that their agreement prior to marriage becomes null and void.

In order to get a better evaluation of your case, call the attorneys of Howard & Fei, LLP at 510.464.8083. If you would like to read Part 1 of this article then click here.




  1. Pingback: Contra Costa County, Bay Area, Santa Clara and Alameda County Divorce Family Law Attorneys - September 6, 2011

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: